Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Planning a Home

I love making a home.
I love maintaining a home.
I actually really like making beds, following our simple routines, resetting the house after a busy day, organizing, hunting for home goods at thrift stores, folding warm laundry, and changing up natural seasonal touches as the months slip by.

Given all that, I am so enjoying making plans for our new home.

When I was first married with my own space for the first time, my decor style was anything goes, color, color, and more color.

Living space by living space, my taste has swung waaaaay over into neutrals, especially for our main living areas.
I'm still eclectic in my finishes and textures.
But I've figured out that a more neutral palette with a good amount of contrast + a handful of warmth is what feels best to us.

It's not just my ideal alone but it what feels best to everyone in our family; it sets the mood for our home life.
Happily, kids and ministry and guests bring a lot of items, (loud) conversation, and activity.

Black, white, and woods are inviting but cool.
Timeless yet fresh.
Artsy but approachable.
This color palette doesn't suck all the oxygen out of the room like mismatched rainbow tones do to me these days.

Simple and quiet country neutral bedroom on Hello Lovely

first home


If you want to go dark with your wall colors, look here for a gallery of rooms that flawlessly combine dark paint on the walls with light and fresh furniture and decor to achieve a contemporary look and balance. See how to use paints by Benjamin Moore and Sherwin-Williams in your living room, bathroom and bedroom.

(1) Cathy Hao

It's important to tune your style to the style of the house you're in or there just won't be any harmony.
The new house is older than our current house.
Our current one was built in the 50's and feels it.
Lots of long, straight horizontal lines make for a mid-century vibe. 
The new one has a lot of wood trim and traditional details.
I'll definitely be happy to embrace that classic feel with an artsy, practical twist.

I do branch out with colors (albeit still earthy colors) in the kids rooms or side rooms.
I'm thinking of using peachy pink, tangerine, and olive in small doses in the girls' bedroom.
Having some playful colors in a child's space is just as important as having colors that stay out of the way in a common space.
For our guest room, I love the idea of pale lavender, amber, and white.
Mmmmmm.
Those colors say relaxing, cozy, and fresh.

A lot of the art and wall decor in our current house are things we've had for 6+ years.
I'm going to take this opportunity to give pieces away that I look through now for some prints and items that hold my eye afresh.

As far as furniture and other household necessities, anything we have to purchase must be practical/very functional.
It's got to take a licking and keep on ticking.
Things must be touchable.
Of course I want it to look beautiful too.
Couches and beds must be able to withstand flopping, daily lounging, and jumping.
Things must also be simple to tidy up.
It's taken me some time to really live by this but I'm won over: if it's pretty but fussy or fragile, it won't be around long and we will have just wasted our money.
No thank you.

I can't wait to get over the moving hump and start making a life in a new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment