Tuesday, August 21, 2018

I'm Ready to Fall

September is almost here and after the hectic summer we've had I am so ready for the change.
Feeling so ready for the downshift into fall, I sat down during a nap time and let myself totally enjoy looking for seasonal and home inspiration.

I grabbed some coffee, zipped on a hoodie, and settled into the quiet while it rained outside to let my vision grow with every photo of someone else's beautiful space.

It is one of my greatest pleasures to create a home that encourages my husband, kids, and guests to feel peaceful, inspired, and understood.
That's a lot to ask from an little orange pumpkin but add some art, good lighting, a comfy couch, something warm to drink, and good kitchen smells....well, you've got something there.
Who doesn't want to live in a beautiful space that shadows the beautiful details of our life God orchestrates in nature all the time?
The magic happens and I love being the one to piece it all together within our walls for the people God has living here.
Plus it's so calming to me.

When I start to think of how I want to put a space to together, I pretend I'm Marmee March, the mother from Little Women.
She lived in a time when there wasn't a Hobby Lobby down the road hawking fake and plastic pumpkins in July.
She didn't shell out hard earned money for trite little signs with cheesy sayings.
She didn't even have someone she would emulate in her homemaking other than maybe a friend she admired or her own mother and childhood memories.
She lived in a time when a home was full of the smells of baking bread, simmering applesauce, and roasting meat.
There were homemade garlands and wreaths from gathered pine cones and leaves, simple white candles for light in the evening, baskets and pottery for all the utility needs of carrying things from here to there
Art might have passed down with rich wood furniture and needlepoint.
As the seasons changed, rugs would come out along with heavier homemade quilts and more mugs of tea.
Seasonal decor was a handful of acorns or an armful of branches with colorful leaves.

Simple. Natural. Purposeful. Frugal. Comforting.
Marmee is who I want to be in so many ways including how I want to make a home.

Sure I might slip in a battery operated jack-o-lantern on a shelf for some whimsy or invest in a high quality, life-like leaf garland to simplify work for myself but I always lean towards natural, simple, and (ideally) free.
I prefer to shop my yard and local park for home decor.
I prefer to gather real, hand painted art for our walls.
I prefer to make what I can and invest in others who make what I can't.

With all that said, here are some photos that really get me excited to put the comfy, seasonal touches on our new home....





Future fall uniform 



Orange, brown, black, cream, white + sprigs of green. 
Yum. 


No comments:

Post a Comment