Thursday, July 26, 2012

blag-ha

Things are average lately. Not much to report. Today was the last day of summer jam for kids at our church. It was so much fun and I hope their lives were touched. This evening I went on a hunt for a couple of wardrobe staples: dress pants and a close cut blazer. I had neither but I found both. I'm going to be a substitute teacher this fall so I needed those to professional-ize some of my outfits. Then Adam had a softball game. It's been such a hot, dry summer but tonight was just perfect. I'm glad I spent it outside.

I just finished reading a book titled Main Street. It was a novel but one that took a critical view of the midwest, small town. It's set during the 1910's. I thought it was really interesting because it pointed out how stagnate minds can become when they only concern themselves with the practical, mundane-ness of life. When gossip and intrigue is the only conversation, simple meanness is bred. People can't forget the joy and pleasure of art, literature, and culture which all work to enhance not only our minds, but our lives. Main Street  also takes a look at the small town "church". It shows how love/grace is preached in church on Sunday and then the members go home to their Sunday dinner and forget to show others the grace and love they had just been shown by Christ. Also, it does have a slight feminist viewpoint but I think it still makes plenty of intriguing points to make it a provoking read. I've found myself looking at my own habits and conversations. Do I pursue love and art and beauty and profoundness? Or do I just settle into petty thoughts and petty habits that seem to satisfy? Do I speak with love to others and about others? Good questions to ask...


No comments:

Post a Comment