Friday, January 17, 2014

Homemaking Blues

Ultimately, if I could live any life, I would choose to be a homemaker.
God has shown me that making a home is a deeply honorable calling (even when the world says you "should be more")
Jesus Himself prepares a place for us.
I want to prepare a place for my husband and guests.

But sometimes, I hit a snag.
Sometimes, the last thing I want to do is the laundry, the dishes, the floors, the dust bunnies, yadda yadda yadda....
It can be easier to just spend my hours out of the house doing anything else or on the couch doing absolutely nothing.

I start to feel like I'm running in circles picking up the crumbs and left behind socks of our daily life.

When that cycle starts, self importance and feeling like "the only one who's doing anything around here" sets in.
My heart turns sour, my face turns sour, and my husband gets sent the silent-but-not-so-silent message that I think he NEVER does ANYTHING.

But then, somehow, God puts His finger in the middle of this crazy cycle, right on my heart, and shows me what I've let happen in my heart and in my home.
He's not asking me to do the dishes or the laundry.

He's showing me that I need to love others before myself.
As a woman and a wife, I have the unique opportunity to do that at on a level that meets my husband's basic needs and comfort.
I do not *always* enjoy doing the dishes laundry, vacuuming, dusting, wiping, washing.....
but I can enjoy making my home that God has provided through my husband a comfortable, healthy one.

By choosing to stay at home and stay off the couch, I can make a difference for love in our lives.
Love keeps me from shuffling my responsibilities off on my husband and tearing him down.
That's a whole lot more motivating to me than a pile of dirty dishes.


No comments:

Post a Comment