Monday, August 27, 2018

Hospitality Part 1: Planning to Eat

Deciding to move into our new house came with the desire to be able to have more people over more often.

Adam and I LOVE hospitality (providing for the physical, emotional, spiritual needs of another even at our own expense) and feel a strong urge to share the kind of hospitality God has shown us.

Well the hope to share our home has certainly been a reality. 
We've been "home" for a little over three weeks and have already had the pleasure of loving on and being loved on by so many people under this new roof.  
We've even had a few over-nighters. 
What a blessing from the Lord. 

As I put together my shopping list for the week I was struck by how many more people we'll be feeding just this week!
Three out of seven nights we'll have extra people eating with us.
This is why I meal plan!
We would go broke and I would waste so much time and patience running back and forth to the store.
And the meals that I did throw together would probably be pretty junky and meager.  



I thought I would share my meal plan that helps provide the peace I need for the week. 
This plan includes feeding my family every meal + snacks, dinner with a couple coming over to discuss wedding details with Adam, dinner with a spiritual daughter, and all the meat for our small group gathering. 

Monday 
Breakfast: cereal, fruit, milk
Lunch: turkey sandwich and pears 
Snack: yogurt
Dinner: pasta with homemade tomato sauce, buttered bread, salad

Tuesday
B: muffins, milk
L: hard boiled egg, fruit, cheese stick, chips
S: a pear
D: guests: slow cooked pulled pork, sweet rolls, slaw, chips

Wednesday
B: cereal, fruit, milk
L: leftover pork + rice, fruit
S: poptart and milk
D: fast food 

Thursday  
B: cereal, fruit, milk
L: pb+ j, fruit, chips
S: yogurt
D:hots dogs, baked beans, tator tots

Friday
B: oatmeal, milk
L: leftover hot dogs + chips
S: apple + peanut butter
D: Fish, greens beans, mac 'n cheese

Saturday
B: waffles, fruit, milk
L: pb + j, fruit. chips
S: treat
D: guest: pulled pork + rice, green beans, buttered bread (might be homemade)

Sunday 
B: oatmeal, milk
L: out
S: popcorn
D: small group: we will provide burgers, hot dogs, buns, + paper products
I tend to stick exactly to what I've got planned for dinners but the rest is just a suggestion. Often one dinner will roll into another. For instance, I have a large amount of pork so we'll be able to use that for two substantial meals that will easily feed guests and my family. I'll know to cook it all at once and set half aside for another dinner down the line. 
As far as breakfast, lunch, and snack go I'll do something different if I know the kids aren't up for what I have planned. Or sometimes I just need to do an easier option if it's been a rough day or if I *ahem* overslept. 

Another perk of having a plan is the peace I can have when I know someone is coming over and I know exactly what to make and when to start making it. 
I don't end up so distracted and feeling like I need to be apologetic for a rushed together meal. 

If you want to be hospitable whether it be to guests our your own family, a little planning goes a long way to making hospitality more manageable, sustainable, and peaceful for you. Though there's also something to be said for being able to meet the needs for a meal or companionship for someone at a moment's notice.

Believe it or not, you can also do some things to set everyone up for success in that case to. 
I'll share some things I do to help me be ready to help someone else with little notice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment