Monday, July 9, 2018

June Favorites

I nearly forgot my June favorites list!

But here it is, front and center.

What I'm doing...

We got away for a family vacation for a week. It was sososososooo good! Now that we have kids, a good vacation is all in the sleeping arrangements. If no one sleeps well, especially for a whole week, then it's better to just stay home. But this trip was probably our best family vacation so far.



The six oldest cousins including our girls slept in a bunk room with it's own little half bath. A nightly sleepover? uh, yes! They loved it. Our oldest niece on Adam's side of the family is so great with our kids. You wouldn't know she was 5 years older for how patient and caring she is with them. They adore her for it.



Our house was right on a lake. We were all jumping off the pier daily for swims.

What I'm reading...



I heard about this book, Survival for Busy Women from one of Michelle Duggar's books (which is it's own gold mine wisdomfor managing our homes and kids well). I had to get it. Managing our home well is an ongoing interest and need.  I couldn't find it at our library but now I'm glad that I just went ahead and bought it. I'll be turning to it again and again. It's just brimming with wisdom on making relative peace out of chaos. It has tips for needs from moving to making time for friendships to meal planning to traveling well with a family. It's geared towards all women whether you are working out of home or in your home.

What I'm using...

I'm not much of a tanner. I think I've been in a tanning bed once. I'm too paranoid of premature aging and skin cancer. No thanks. Getting some color every spring and summer is still something that I like though... just not the risk that comes with the sun. After trying out lots of self tanner products through high school and college, I finally used Jergens Natural Glow lotion. It's a daily lotion that builds color over time. Since it's gradual, it's never streaky or orange-y. Plus it smells okish.



What I'm wearing...

In the spring I lightened up my makeup routine. I thought for about 2 seconds that maybe I might just go makeup free for the summer. Mmmmmmm, nah. I don't' cake it on but I like the feeling of a little mascara, liner, and a light glow. So here's what I came up with...


First I use a pump of Aveeno lotion with spf all over my face and neck. Whatever is left gets rubbed into the backs of my hands. Then BB cream with spf gets dabbed on my T zone to soften up pores and blemishes. Next, I use dark brown eye shadow, an angled brush, and a spooley brush to fill in my brows. Not too crazy much but just enough for some good definition. Sometimes I'll use that same color and the fluffier eye brush to smudge some at the outer corners of my eyes. Next, that same brush is used to dab a bit of illuminating powder under my brows, at the inner corners of my eyes, and along the upper ridge of my cheek bones. A good swipe of mascara and I'm done! It all takes about three minutes and looks natural but polished. For a special occasion or when the weather gets cooler, I use my index finger to dab the dark eye shadow on my top lid. Easy peasy. 

This routine has also completely streamlined what I buy and store. 


What I'm making...

Every summer, our church has a day camp for the kids of our community. The campers are fed breakfast and lunch. We have games, music, a craft, and a big water day on the last day of the week. This year I volunteered to organize the crafts and spent a good chunk of June making plans for it. Pinterest was my source for a few simple crafts for the week including giant paper popsicle, hand print parrots, tie dye canvas bags, diy pinwheels, and paper straw snakes. We'll also be having an origami station set up for early finishers to practice their creative folding skills.

Paper popsicle power!





No comments:

Post a Comment