Sunday, August 12, 2012

Putting together a toy box

We have some family who were German Baptists. (If you don't know what a German Baptist is you might google it. They dress similar to the Amish. Totally different set of beliefs, but similar). They are a really tight knit community that has many traditions. One tradition is every couple who gets married receives a toy box and toys as part of their wedding gifts. This happens whether or not the couple is planning to have children right away.

If you've read my blog for any length of time, you would have figured out that I love kids. When I heard of this tradition, I thought it was great. Even if you don't have kids of your own, having a stash of toys is a great way to practice hospitality towards even your littlest guests.

So I've been on a search for a toy box: nothing too big, nothing too small, and it should be attractive enough to store out in the open. And of course, cost next to nothing. And guess what! I found it.

This picnic basket is the perfect size, it's attractive,
 it was cheap ($10 bucks!), and it's easy to open. 


It came with these picnic accouterments but
 I think I'll have to store these away for future camping trips.

 Now I'll be keeping my eyes open at garage sales and thrift shops for:

  • wooden blocks
  • simple musical instruments
  • kitchen toys
  • wooden shape sorter
  • Miniature dollhouse and dolls. 
  • some story books




1 comment:

  1. Ahhh! Kensie, you have so many exciting things going on in your life! I could leave long comments on each post, but let me just say now Happy late birthday, I can't wait to see what's in store for the two of you in Berlin (how exciting!Daniel and I are keeping the two of you in our prayers, I can't wait to hear about it when you come back! :)

    I love sleeping to thunderstorms too... you make doing dishes sound fun... I love the toy box idea... and keep writing, I love reading!

    I have taken a break from the computer, as soon as life gets to busy I have found the first thing that gets cut is the computer and social time on here. But as summer is slowly coming to an end I am less busy, hopefully I will have more time for cultivating my friendships on here and blogging.

    ttys!

    ReplyDelete