Monday, May 20, 2013

Smoothies

I started making smoothies a few years ago and now I usually make them 3-4 times a week for breakfast.
They're portable, nutritious, and you can change the taste based on what you like and what you have on hand.

In the beginning, I thought it was better to put as many different kinds of fruits and whatever as possible.
But I find that smoothies taste better if there is a base plus one or two complimentary flavors (like pineapple and banana or apple and peanut butter).

My base usually includes: yogurt, a banana (because they make a smoothie extra creamy), and ice.
My usual throw ins include: fruit,spinach, peanut butter, coconut oil, cocoa powder, orange juice, oatmeal/granola, and/or brewed coffee.
I never put all those in at once, just one or two. :)...... or three.

Here are a few of my favorite combos (and I never measure. I just throw in a portion that looks good to me):

1. Green Tropics Smoothie
1 banana
1/2 C. (?) pineapple
handful of spinache
orange juice
yogurt (plain or vanilla, w/e I have)
spoonful of coconut oil
ice

2. Banana Nut Winter Smoothie
1 banana
Vanilla yogurt
handful of chopped walnuts (or whatever nuts you have)
cinnamon
honey
ground nutmeg
ice

3. Chocolate Protein Smoothie
Banana
greek yogurt
cocoa powder
peanut butter
milk
ice

One last tip:
I like to buy canned fruit (packed in juice, not syrup) such as pineapple in the largest can I can find because it's cheap and already cut up. When I open the can I'll put in only the amount I want, then freeze the rest in an ice cube tray. Once frozen, the cubes can be stored in the freezer in a container. The next time I make a smoothie, I'll pop 2 or 3 frozen pineapple cubes in there. It also does double duty as the ice factor.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment