Thursday, May 2, 2013

Super Simple Slipcover

 We live in a rental with rental beige walls.
Plus our furniture is mostly beige...... along with a beige ottoman.
Are you sensing the same beige overload I am?
So, I wanted to make a slipcover for the sad looking ottoman and CHEAPLY but stylishly break up the beige.


I finally came across a cover I could easily make myself and would be simple to put on and take off. 

And I liked how it looked kind of rustic and not-perfect.
I can do not-perfect. 

So here's a step by step on how to make this SUPER SIMPLE SLIPCOVER! :)

Materials:
  1. fabric (felt works good for this project because the edges can be left raw without unraveling)
  2. Embroidery thread and needles
  3. tape measure
  4. yard stick (or some straight edge)
  5. White chalk to draw your cut lines with


After measuring all my ottoman sides, I drew them all out on my fabric. 
Then cut them.

Once I had all my pieces, I pinned them together on my ottoman. 
You see how the raw edges are sticking out?
That's where the sewing gets done.
:)


Then using your embroidery thread, blanket stitch all the seams. 

If you don't know how to do a blanket stitch, check out this video. 


And here's the finished product. 
It's got my stamp of approval. 


No comments:

Post a Comment