Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mashed Butternut Squash

So far this week has been pretty uneventful.....
and I'm totally cool with that.

I've just been working, puttering around at home, and doing some projects for the soonly finished nursery at our church (again, pics to come, I promise!)

The temperature has plummeted around here so I've been craving tons of hot drinks and comforting food.
Something I've been wanting to try is roasted and mashed butternut squash.
I don't think I've even eaten any kind of squash/gourd other than pumpkin pie..... and I'm not sure that counts.

After picking one up at the store I finally got around to making some with roasted chicken, spicy spinach, and freshly baked bread.

Wow.

That was probably one of the best meals I've made in a while.
So YUMMY!
And the squash was probably my favorite part.
Adam was in heaven.

I kept my mashed butternut squash pretty simple so I could recreate it easily with things I usually have on hand.

Here's my made up recipe:

You'll need

  • 1 whole butternut squash
  • 3 TBSP butter
  • 1/4 C. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. pumpkin spice
- Set oven too 400 degrees. Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. 
-Place flat side down on a cookie sheet and roast for 1 hour
- When it's done, scoop out the insides into an oven-safe dish. Mix in butter, half of the sugar, and spices.
- Make sure it's all mashed and well combined. Smooth out the top.
- Sprinkle on the rest of the brown sugar and put dish in oven for another 15-20 at 400 degrees. 


That's it!
I was expecting the dish to taste a lot like sweet potato, and it did. But it was also very unique. 
I think this will be my go-to holiday dish this year. 
Can't wait to make it again! 
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment