Monday, January 12, 2015

Unwanted Pets

This is another one of those posts where I'm like eww.
Do I really want to write this?
Do you really want to know?

But whatever.
Here it goes.

Lice.
We have been dealing with lice this past week.
Ugh.
Gross.
Yuck.
Ugh.

I started scratching last week.
Ew.
I have really dry, sensitive skin in the winter so I just didn't think it would be anything more than that.
But then, when I picked up Sweetums from their Monday visit, the visit supervisor broke the news to me that she had lice something awful.
I felt the blood drain from my face and my throat went dry.
And I knew I did too.

We headed home and I sent out an SOS to Adam for backup.
He very kindly came home, picking up a kit for us on the way.


Meanwhile I went into hyper drive, throwing every thing I could into the wash and Googling what the heck to do. 

As soon as Adam got home, I got down to business coating Sweetums hair and mine with the shampoo.

Look at her sweet little baby bun!
I love a baby bun. 

And mine. 
Not as cute but a bit more enthusiastic.


After some major shampooing came some intense combing.

Adam even felt up to trying his hand at this mane. 
It didn't last long. 
I can deal with pulling my own hair but I have a hard time not squealing when someone else does. BTW, this guy rocks. 


Some other things that have helped are:

  • using a straightener on our hair (kills everything it goes over)
  • putting all of our bedding in the dryer on high heat for at least a half hour when we get up. 
  • using a chemical spray from the kit on our floors, couches, mattresses,.....anything that's soft but can't be washed.  
I did panic a bit that first night dealing with it all thinking I might have to chop my hair off. 
I've been growing it out for so long.
We're still not completely out of the woods, but I don't think it will come to that. 
I do foresee a visit to the salon to get some pampering once it's all over . 

Today though, I haven't seen any signs of life on either one of us. 
I'm pretty sure my scalp is crying for mercy from all of the chemicals, heat, and combing it's suffered through.
Remember? Dry and sensitive?
:)

Wish us luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment